6.13.2010

square inches


I've been in my new place just shy of a month and I absolutely love every square inch of it. It feels officially like home now that I've had family and friends over. AND, the perk of the night tonight was measuring the place and realizing it is almost the same dimensions as a 40' shipping container. If you read my blog at all you know how I feel about containers {ISBUs}.

My little place in the world is one of those things I just can't capture with my camera as many angles as I've tried. Maybe that says something about how much it feels like home to me? That, and I'd need a pro to figure out the lighting.

I'm ultra critical of putting my own place online for you to see. I want it to look like a glossy spread but the reality of the space is so much better lived in rather than styled so pristine isn't what I'm after. I've also made a promise to myself to only spend money on new things if I sale old things. I've sold a rug so I have some play money now.

Heaps of fresh peonies from Grandma's garden, treasures from my travels and photos of my family are some of my favorite details at the moment. The image I included above of my brother, my nephew and me was taken in Seoul a few years ago. We were in a park somewhere and bikes weren't allowed past a certain point as we rode around the lake. Ben is fluent but pretended not to be as we rode past the sign and laughed when the people we passed called us names.

It takes 12 steps to walk from my sofa/bed to the bath tub. Reading this entry probably took longer than it'd take to take it all in if you came to visit.

7 comments:

  1. Your space is so perfectly you. I can't wait until I can walk through it. However quickly it might be. My parents thoroughly enjoyed seeing you and yours today. Wish I had been with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read in Anne of Green Gables that a home is not a home until it has had a birth, death, and a wedding. I think I like your definition better - that it's not a home until you've had your friends and family over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be in Salt Lake in July and I want to come see your place! It looks much bigger than the room we shared :) I bet the bunkbeds would fit great in there! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful description. And you are one of the biggest pros I know when it comes to lighting, and I mean that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the reflection of you in the pretty blue vase. pbpb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not so much as a Container but more like a precious Jewelry Box. Loved it. Thanks for the spooky tour behind the Edgar Allen Poe door.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you got the unedited version of the tour Vicky. Not everyone gets to go in the spooky part, only the brave ones. thnx for all the sweet comments everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete