4.12.2014

after the happily ever after



There are a few things coming between me and continuity.  As with any creative endeavor, I can't come at it straight on.  I wander about it a lot, looking at it from all angles, giving it room to breathe, making sure I'm not over working it.

Writing bits of my life down is no different.  I can't just sit down and say today was a day and see how it blends with all the other days preceding it in any sharable context.  I need some perspective.  A storyline.  Living in this constant state of bliss is helping me understand why happily ever after is a great place to end a story.  I should say a word or two about what I mean by bliss.  I don't mean that everything works out perfectly or that I don't still have moods I don't understand.  I just mean that's it's bliss sharing it all with someone.  {Maybe he'd say otherwise about the mood part?}

I've been telling my story from one {singular} angle for so long I don't know how to share this happily ever after part.   How to write 'today was a lovely day and all the ones before it were also lovely' without, as David's grandpa once said, having the depth of a paper plate?

I was laid up for the better part of last week with what I consider my foray into my golden years {nasty lower back pain} so I had a lot of time to think.  And observe.

Other than the patterns of changing light {and a lot of Netflix} I observed my husband.  I'm married to a very good man.  This I already knew of course.  But I know it better now after having him see me at my worst, and instead of wallowing in it with me, he pulled me out of it with his sense of humor and his very {very} good nature.  Levity is always needed.  I love laughing with him.  Especially now that it doesn't hurt so much.

I'm not giving up on figuring out how to tell this part of our story.  It's too good not to tell.  We are so immersed in blessings I don't know where one ends and the next begins.  David's finals start this week, then there's the Law Review write-on and then there's a handful of precious days, and he'll be off to Hong Kong for a speedy internship with the second largest law firm in the world.  And if that's not cool enough, he'll be coming home and making the cross-country journey to DC where he'll be spending the rest of the summer with the National Gallery of Art in their legal department.  Vesper is already lamenting his leaving.  I'm avoiding the fact all together.  As I said, I'm married to a very good man and my story just isn't complete without him anymore.

3 comments:

  1. You almost sound like a military wife, long separations and learning how to be "a team" again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pack yourself in his suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that last shot of the water on the plane window. Very cool. And I'm surprised you don't head off to Hong Kong and DC with him - especially DC, we need to see you!

    ReplyDelete